Today marks the first anniversary of the Coalition for the Energy Efficiency of Buildings.
We had very high ambitions for this initiative when along with our partners E3G we approached the first half dozen Coalition members just over a year ago. We wanted to create a powerful, cross-sectoral collaboration with a clear mission – to develop practical financial mechanisms, backed by well-informed policy levers and useful data tools to create a greener, more resilient built environment.
Twelve months later, we are now a movement of almost 200 individual members, and despite the desperate challenges of 2020, we are making an impact. Together we have developed decision-useful insights and real-economy solutions including:
- The development of financial mechanisms and data tools across the Coalition’s working groups, including the Green Home Retrofit Finance Principles that launched in September, and a portfolio of further solutions which will be brought to market throughout 2021;
- In-depth analysis of the investment barriers to retrofitting and heat decarbonisation in our homes;
- Extensive engagement throughout the year with government and regulators to create the enabling conditions for product development and rapid capital deployment;
- Continually sharing best practice across the industry and internationally through your advocacy for the Coalition’s findings and solutions.
- The pioneering solutions and initiatives by individual members including the launch of Community Municipal Investments by Abundance Investment; the Accelerator Cities programme with its retrofit playbook for local authorities; the sustainability bonds issued by Clarion Housing; Legal & General’s commitment to make all new homes ‘net-zero enabled’ by 2030; the green mortgage propositions launched by Nationwide, Natwest, Newbury Building Society, and many others; the Optimised Retrofit and VALUER projects being led by Sero; and TrustMark’s leading role in delivering the Green Homes Grant scheme.
As the Coalition enters its second year, we look forward to a series of product launches and expanding its work further afield.
We would like to take a moment to recognise our collective achievements and to say thank you. It has been our pleasure to work with you, and we hope your continued creativity and commitment will enable us all to achieve even greater ambitions in the year ahead.
Wishing you all a healthy and happy festive season,
Dr Rhian-Mari Thomas OBE
Green Finance Institute
Green Finance Institute